Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Just some stuff before I forget...

I am trying to keep a running log of the things she is learning and happenings, so today I have time during her nap to type and I'm just gonna try to remember all the stuff she has been doing lately.

I am trying to get her to begin to learn phonics but she is completely uninterested. She has a poster on the wall in the bath with the ABC's on it and she has them all memorized, so I thought maybe it was getting boring just identifying the letters so we can start learning what the letters say. She looks at me like I am a complete idiot when I try to get her to repeat that "B says buh". I guess it hasn't sunk in that B is more than just a B, it stands for a sound. Oh well, I'll keep trying!

Our car can seat three in the front and three in the back and the middle seats will adjust on a sliding rail, so that they can be pushed back. This means that Hana can sit in the front with us, and her seat is just slid back for safety (so the airbags won't get in case of a crash). Until now we've always had her in the back but recently we took a short day trip with friends and we put Hana up front with us so our friends could be in the back with their child. She loved it and we were surprised to enjoy having her up front with us in the middle. So we've left her there, and it is amazing to see how much she observes as we drive around and how much she knows. We didn't know that she knew the names of so many shops or could identify so many letters and numbers, etc. This girl is one smart little cookie.

She is speaking English almost exclusively with us and other English speakers and switching to Japanese with Japanese speakers. I am trying to figure out if this is just a learned/conditioned response or if she knows the difference between the two langauges. I don't think she knows that they are two totally different languages yet, although she does know that most everything in her world has two names. It's kind of hard to explain why I think she doesn't totally understand the difference yet, but it is still amazing what her mind is doing with the two languages. I have read that they don't consciously know the difference until the age of four. I am just soooo relieved that I have been able to condition her to respond to me in English most of the time. Many of her words that were automatically coming out in Japanese EVERYTIME, are now coming out in English OR both. Like she'll say, "Mommy, mite, look look" or something like that. Now we'll throw another kink in the formula when she starts going to preschool three days a week in May! UGH!

When either Rocky and I turn on the "oh boy your in trouble" tone, her response has become so cute. She'll immediately look up at us and in the sweet voice say, "Ok Mommy!" And stop what she is doing. That little "OK" sounds so sweet.

We borrowed a Little Einstein DVD from friends and she LOVES this show. I downloaded a season of Dora on iTunes but I'll probably be downloading Little Einstein sometime soon too. This show is so educational, in Art, Music and Science. I am amazed that she loves it so much, and it teaches majorly big words, like metamorphosis and metropolitan and stuff. She's gonna sound like a 40 year old at 4! No wonder kids these days blow me away with their vocabulary. They learn it from CARTOONS!

Right now in Japan is election season and one of the ways they campaign is to drive around in vans with big signs on them, and a loud speaker. They wave at everyone and yell their name a million times a minute through that speaker. Talk about distrurbing the peace. Anyways, she always asks "What's that?" when she sees them and Mommy always tells her, "Those are politicians, they are campaigning." So today we were driving around and saw one of those vans and she said "Mommy, ticians!" I've been teaching her to wave at them cause if you do the person yelling on the loud speaker gets all excited and thanks you for your support and everyone riding along waving gets so excited too and they wave real big and smile! It's funny to watch and it must make their day after so many people ignore them all day long. She won't wave with me yet, maybe tomorrow!

She is GREAT at saying, "Thank you" "You're welcome" "please" and other polite little things. She is so polite and we didn't really work hard to make her say these things, she just does it.

I'm sure there has to be more but that is all I can think of right now!

No comments: