Saturday, June 20, 2009

Language development...

It's been a while since I've written about how Hana is doing in the language department. She is doing so well!

Rocky and I were commenting recently that one thing we don't want to forget which she is saying a lot lately is "don't you". Don't you is at the end of lots of her sentences, even when it should be "doesn't she" or "isn't it". It's so cute. She'll say things like...

Mommy, KaiKai seems hungry, don't you?
It's hot today, don't you?

So I have sometimes started trying to get her to say the correct phrase and now she'll try sticking random phrases in that still don't match the subject or her sentence. Like...

KaiKai is sleeping, isn't it?

It is so cute when she makes these mistakes that sometimes it is hard to correct her.

She still mispronounces a lot of words. Especially accident. it still comes out askident. Lots of words with the double cc in them come out with the sk sound. Can't think of any other examples right now. She says accident all the time so that one sticks out in my mind.

Her sentences keep getting longer and more complicated. Today on the way home, we were turning into our road off a road that has some construction going on. It has been widened and is leading up to a ramp that is still under construction. so the lanes that will enter the ramp are blocked off. So she said, "Mommy, how come this road is blocked like that?" I just thought that was a mighty big sentence for her and her usage of the word blocked was so perfect. I am always wishing that I could figure out where she gets vocabulary like that.

We are sanitizing our hands a lot these days with the H1N1 virus being around (a case of it was reported in our city this week). So now my four year old says things like, "Mommy can I sanitize my hands?" and she'll ask me "Are you sterilizing KaiKai's bottles?" WOW!

She is however trying to get away with using more Japanese with us. when she spouts off to me in Japanese I give her a strange look and tell her I can't understand what she just said. Sometimes she tries repeating it in Japanese several more times, but will finally say it in English. I think this is awesome experience for her brain to have to translate what she wants to say into English! How amazing to get to learn a second language as a child!

We will probably start Kindergarten homeschool in the fall! Pray I can discern what curriculum to order, and how to go about doing all this!

Here's a pic to enjoy, Hana helping entertain her brother while he gets a hair cut!

No comments: